Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rules

I recently got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt. It cost me $55 for the ticket at $8 for a cashier's check (because the city doesn't trust personal checks I guess). Obviously I wasn't too happy about that. I almost would have preferred if I got a speeding ticket. Why? Because I think the seat belt law is dumb.

You see, I have no problem following rules that make sense to me. It's when there's rules that I don't understand or I think are dumb that I don't follow. For instance, it makes sense that not speeding is a good rule to follow because you are endangering other people (I don't always follow the rule, but I think it's a rule that should be enforced). It's a good rule not to drink bleach...because it will kill you. It's a good rule to clean your bathroom every week... because it gets frickin nasty if you don't. It's simple. I follow rules that I get.

Maybe not all people agree with my logic about which rules are right, but I think the idea behind it is true for most people: follow rules that make sense.

For years I've wondered why I repeatedly fail at reading my bible and having a real prayer life. I'm beginning to think those are rules that don't make sense to me. After all, my life is pretty easy most of the time. Pretty stressless. Why do I need Jesus when my life is going fine, or when I am completely capable of handling the problems in my life? Why do I need to read the bible or pray? Why do I need Jesus now?

And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
1 Thes. 5:14-22

But his answer was: My Father is still working even now, and so I am working.
John 5:17

who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father
Galatians 1:4

Romans 12:2; 2 Corinthians 4:4; Galatians 2:20


What else needs to be said?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green [1] pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest [2] my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Cynthia and Joshua said...

So, what about wearing a seat belt does not make sense to you? You said that statement about three times but you never backed it up. Just curious. =]

Tony Nelson said...

I guess I would say wearing a seat belt makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is that it's a law. I think laws should protect you from others and others from you. But I don't think the law should protect you from yourself. If you want to be a danger to yourself, go for it. At least that's what I think now. Until somebody can bring up a good point to make me change my mind.

Cynthia and Joshua said...

I think wearing a seatbelt protects you from others. Just because you might be a good driver does not necessarily mean the millions of other drivers are good as well. I can see your point for sure considering you could die from riding a bus without seatbelts, walk across the street and be hit, fall asleep at the wheel and crash into a tree. Your seatbelt would help you in that instance since it would be your fault for driving when so tired. I guess I've had too many friends die from not wearing seatbelts so I do not chance it.