Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Teaching the Bible

I'm in this superfine class called "Teaching the Bible" where we just so happen to learn to teach the bible. I just recently did a passage research study on Galatians 5:16-26 and a topical research on the Holy Spirit, using 5 different passages. These things had to be thorough with background information, interpretation, application... pretty much like an old school commentary. It was honestly a ton of work. I'd definitely be prepared to teach on that stuff though (except I kinda did a cheap job on the topical research, but the Galatians one I'd kill on). I haven't taught many lessons. But in this class we are really being exposed to all the work that goes into writing a lesson.

It always seems like when I look at Jon's blog that he's always talking about how it's "kicking his butt." It really does kick my butt. When I am typing up application stuff... geez. It's so convicting doing all this study and getting solid applications. How can you teach something you haven't already experienced? How can you tell somebody to do the hard thing and apply what you've learned when you haven't done it.

My whole life I've made it normal to not apply what I've "learned." It's going to be interesting to see how things work out now. If I continue to not apply, what happens? I burn out? I really do need to start applying. I need to do the hard thing.

No comments: