Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Summer Staff Position

So the news is officially in. I signed up for Guys Staff Director or Program Team and I got... neither. Instead I got Tech Team. Probably about half of the students got the position they signed up for. I was definitely surprised when I was told that this is my job. I heard that Matt Wilhelm signed up for Staff Director, and I knew he'd get it, so that wasn't really a surprise at all (go matt!). And I didn't really expect to be put on program team either... but Tech surprised me. I'm not that happy about it... but I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

No, it's not the job I signed up for. No, I don't think it's the best job for me. And no, I don't really want to sit in the dungeon all day. But, it's not my pick. I'm sure God guided the staff here to choose this. Therefore, I'm going to be happy with it, and serve as best as I can doing this job. At least I'll get to sit in one of the few places that have A/C. And I'll learn a lot of tech stuff that I'm sure will help me in the future. And I get to work with Paul and Tessa (not that they're the coolest people in the world... but they're close). And I know I'll always be able to come back here and work as a techie!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tony - Tech is actually pretty cool. I'm not sure what you'll specifically be doing (maybe running sound for chapel?), but I was on tech team when I was a student, and I thought it was awesome.

Tech team is basically like an extension of the program team; you're always revolving around the program, much more so than any other position (like working in the kitchen, or even Staff Director) because the program team will need sound in the field for a game, or you'll have to take pictures or video of the campers while they're playing the game, or climbing on the wall, or whatever they're doing. You're pretty much always around the campers, which is one thing I really liked about it. If you aren't working on program or tech, your schedule doesn't really go with the campers' schedule at all, which can be really weird when you're used to coming to camp as a counselor or as part of the band.

Another thing I liked about tech was that when people were there as campers or counselors that I wanted to spend time with, I could! Like I said, your schedule really matches up with the campers' schedule, so you'll naturally be in the same places at the same time. Plus, you'll have your lightest workload during their free time in the afternoons, so you'll really be able to hang out with them.

And if it happens to be a week where you don't know anyone who is a camper or counselor, you'll still have the flexibility in the afternoons to go see your friends who are working somewhere else, or take a nap, if that's what you want to do. That's not to say you'll have NO work in the afternoons, just that most of your work time will be during scheduled camper activities like morning and evening chapel, and games.

As far as your nights go, Thursday nights, you'll be working late because you'll be printing out cabin pictures and burning DVDs, and getting them ready for the campers to take home in the morning. Every other night, though, your work will be finished after chapel, and most of the other staff will be done working too, so you'll be able to hang out with everyone on staff during that time.

Tech really is the best of both worlds (in my opinion at least) because you get to see both sides: you can spend time around the campers AND time around the staff. Most other summer staff positions aren't like that. Some of the positions might see the campers in a limited capacity, but that's it (for example, the wranglers only see the campers when/if the campers go to the barn).

I hope you'll like tech. It really is a cool job, it you want it to be. If you choose to spend all day sitting in the dungeon, messing around on the computer, then maybe it would be pretty boring. You will have to spend some time down there, but you definitely won't be stuck down there all day unless you choose to be.

Well, this comment went a lot longer than I planned, so sorry. But I really do hope you'll like tech team and have a great summer!

Unknown said...

I suppose I should also add that you will be working a lot. I didn't mean to make it sound that you wouldn't be working very much, because that's not true. The days can get pretty long, because you're up when the campers are, and you can't go to bed until the campers do. It's not like maintenance, for instance, who work from 9-5 everyday, and then they're done. You will work hard, though.

Like I said, I liked tech because I revolved around the campers and their schedule, which I was used to because I had counseled. I think maybe you'll feel the same, since your previous summer experiences at camp were the same as mine.

Ok, that is all. Maybe. No, really, it is. For now.