Thursday, November 26, 2009

How far is heaven?

I've been struggling through two ideas, heaven and selfishness, that are really intertwined for me, and I haven't really come to a conclusion that satisfies me. I'm not even really sure how to organize all my thoughts into coherent statements. Basically, I'm tired of hearing about becoming a Christian so you get out of Hell. I hear "It's not about religion, it's about the relationship," and then two seconds later "and you get out of Hell." People talk about being selfless as a Christian, but being Christian is selfish. 19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, ... 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." How is that not selfish? Would people love Christ if going to Heaven when we die wasn't part of the deal?

I think the big issue is that I'm selfish. I've got selfish motivations. I really want to be selfless, but I don't feel like I'm being selfless. I don't feel selfless storing up treasures in Heaven. I even feel selfish accepting love and peace and other blessings from God. I just feel like it's so much about me, what I want, and what God can give me.

No comments: