Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Psychology of Biblical Interpretation

Just read through this book written by Cedric B. Johnson in about an hour and a half or two hours. It's about 120 pages. Decent book. If you haven't had any classes about philosophy and psychology, there's probably going to be a lot you don't understand. I've taken one class in each, and there was some stuff that just went right over my head. Plus I'm like falling asleep, so that probably didn't help in understanding.

Basically the book warns that you need to be careful when interpreting the bible. You come to the Bible with experiences, fears, influences, culture, and yadda yadda ya. I liked the book because it had to do with understanding how people work (and for some reason that always earns my attention). But I don't really think the book changes anything with how I'm going to interpret the bible. It has given me a new understanding that will help when I teach the bible to others.

It's not an entertaining book, not full of tons of useful and practical stuff, not long. Not the best book to read, but it wouldn't hurt to read if you've got two spare hours.

No comments: