Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Official Chapel

Today was the first day I went to an actual chapel here. Tuesday there was an all-university convocation (which was EXTREMELY boring). I definitely liked this chapel. Matt Wilhelm's band (minus Matt cuz his guitar is jacked up) lead worship. They did this song I've never heard before called "Stronger." Man, what an amazing song. Definitely my new favorite worship song.

The speaker was pretty swell too... I don't remember his name though. He's fairly entertaining and does a good job of keeping your attention (which helps with my part-time ADD). What he spoke about today made me laugh. He talked about Chapel Manners. He talked about it in light of treating the service as a holy place, which was a nice touch. But it was simple stuff... like turn your cell phones off. Show up on time. It was like kid stuff, but we're college students. The funny part? We actually needed to be told that.

Here's what I gleaned from him: People say that God is everywhere. Therefore, every place is Holy. Think about that... then that means there's really no special place for you to meet with God. It was suggested that, in fact, there are some special places for you to meet with God. I guess we can call them "Super-Holy Places" (that is my idear, not the speakers). You need to reserve those spots for God, and God alone. It's not a time or place to start a debate, nor to text, nor to zone out. These super holy spots are for you to focus in completely on God, and to give him the attention he deserves.

It's definitely something I needed to hear. Something I need to spend some more time thinking about. Have you made it to the nearest Super Holy Place today?

1 comment:

Ian Crosby said...

Hey Tony that sounds pretty sweet! is the song "stronger" the same one by hillsong cause that song is amazing!! I hope you continue to enjoy your college experience!