Saturday, January 31, 2009

Holiness or God?

"Paul did not say that he separated himself, but 'when it pleased God, who separated me . . .' (Galatians 1:15). Paul was not overly interested in his own character. And as long as our eyes are focused on our own personal holiness, we will never even get close to the full reality of redemption. Christian workers fail because they place their desire for their own holiness above their desire to know God."
-Oswald Chambers

As part of our Christian Life and Ethics course, with Dave Wager, we are to read at least 75 daily devotionals from Chamber's "My Utmost for His Highest." It works out to be 5 a week. I've read probably about a dozen or so. Reading through today's devotional, this just jumps out at me.

Growing up in the church I've kinda played the game... if you know what I mean. I wasn't seeking God, I was just making it look like I was a good Christian... I sought "holiness." I knew some characteristics to being a holy person. I was trying to become holy in the wrong way, though. The more you seek Christ, the more holy you become... that's the only way.

God set me apart. Set me to be holy. It's time I prioritize my desires...

#1: To know God.

That's the only priority I need to get in place right now...

No comments: